MATERIAL & DESIGN MAKE THE DIFFERENCE
First-in-class materials and unique patented design make the difference
- Easy and reproducible injection
- Through 1.8mm micro-incision
- Long-term axial, radial and torsional stability
- Precise and stable refractive results
- Improved PCO prevention
- Very low chromatic aberration
A first-in-class material for easy implantation through 1.8mm incision
Only a material with specific rheological properties is suitable for optimal micro-incision surgery (MICS).
Bi-Flex lenses are manufactured from a long-term proven 25% hydrophilic copolymer material
- optimally combining hydrophilic and hydrophobic monomers
- offering rheological properties required for MICS: ELASTICITY · SOFTNESS · SHAPE MEMORY
- creating optimal conditions for MICS.
Smooth continuous gliding of the IOL inside the cartridge, low injection force.
Immediate, symmetric and atraumatic unfolding inside the capsular bag.
Only an IOL made of first-in-class material can offer constant optic quality & improved safety.
Bi-Flex material offers permanent optic quality as a result of
- unequalled transparency
- very low chromatic aberration thanks to a high Abbe number.
In vitro experiment of cells adhesion
26% Hydrogel - MMA Bi-Flex 25% copolymer
Bi-Flex material offers improved safety with
- optimized biocompatibility
- low ionicity surface for minimized rates of cell adhesion.
A unique & patented 360° square edge that deserves its reputation for improved PCO prevention
Only a real square edge can stop cell migration.
Studies have highlighted the essential role of the optic profile design – especially the existence of a square edge all around the optic – to control cell migration.
Specific polish-free process manufacturing and patented design characterize all Bi-Flex IOLs with
- a sharp square edge
- all over 360° including the optic-haptic junction zone.
A highly protective 'edge effect' against lens epithelial cell migration.
Comparative scanned images of IOLs marketed with 'sharp edge' at the optic-haptic junction
Medicontur Bi-Flex IOL is the only lens which has a real square edge over 360° even at the optic-haptic junction.
A unique and patented design for ultimate centration and long-term stability
Only a specific design offering a large contact angle and adequate haptics resistance can provide long-term centration and stability.
Bi-Flex lenses benefit from all assets of the Bi-Flex platform design characteristics
- for reproducible centration of the IOL
- for axial, radial and rotational stability.
These unique characteristics are
the largest contact angle between haptics and capsular bag equator among all IOLs 2 x 90° = Total 180°contact angle
the Dolphin zone and the double haptics specific design
- for immediate and symmetric unfolding
- for optimized compressibility and resistance against capsular bag compression force.
Experimental simulator of different capsular bag diameters
In both cases, Bi-Flex lens' arc of contact with the capsular bag equator is larger.
A unique and patented design offering additional assets
A 0° angulation
to easily remove all viscoelastic gel from behind the IOL after surgery, to improve refraction stability.
An aspheric optical design
- to limit optical aberrations
- to improve patients’ visual comfort.
A full 6mm optic
A first-in-class material with a high Abbe number
Bi-Flex 1.8 material and the Abbe number
The Abbe number is a measure of a transparent material's dispersion in relation to the refractive index.
The higher the Abbe number the lower the chromatic aberration.
Bi-Flex 1.8 benefits from a very high Abbe value: 58.
A natural yellow filter for optimized protection against 'blue light'
Only a natural yellow filter can offer the required protection while preserving quality vision.
Violet and blue light corresponds to visible light wavelengths between 390 and 495 nanometers (nm). It is known that short wavelengths are potentially harmful to the macula. On the other hand we know that blue light is important for scotopic vision (night driving).
Medicontur natural yellow filter cuts from 390 nm to 470 nm
- covering the most critical 'high energy' portion of visible light
- preserving the low energy portion of blue light to maintain scotopic vision capacity, colour and contrast sensitivity.
Bi-Flex natural yellow filter
No yellow filter at all Bi-Flex natural yellow filter Non-natural yellow filter
Bi-Flex natural yellow filter: Filtering as much as necessary. Preserving as much as possible.